Interesting words, issue four

As I am going from the beginning of my list, I am a little disappointed that I'm not getting to the most recently added words first, but then I remembered that regardless of which order I go through the words, they're all going to be novel to the audience. 

Additionally, even though I may occasionally be tempted to churn out (or rather, pre-write for later publication) more than one issue of interesting words per day, I've decided that it's better to refrain from that urge and instead pace myself with these posts, as another intention of them is to instill a habit of writing regularly, rather than writing a lot on one day and then not again for the next week or who knows how long. I also think I will limit the posts to weekdays only and aim for at least three posts per week, not necessarily five.

aguish: an archaic term describing an illness (ague; archaically it meant malaria specifically) that causes fever and chills. Basically a fancier and more esoteric synonym for feverish. Contracting covid could cause you to feel aguish.

guttation: Another botanical term that describes when plants release drops of water from their leaves. When the sansevieria plants bloomed, guttation occurred.  

agnotology: the study of ignorance. Researching why some people think climate change isn't real or believe conspiracy theories about vaccines would fall under agnotology. Perhaps the poem "all ignorance toboggans into know" is vaguely about agnotology. 

kenopsia: from the Dictionary of Obscure Sorrows, "the eerie, forlorn atmosphere of a place that’s usually bustling with people but is now abandoned and quiet—a school hallway in the evening, an unlit office on a weekend, vacant fairgrounds—an emotional afterimage that makes it seem not just empty but hyper-empty, with a total population in the negative, who are so conspicuously absent they glow like neon signs." From another website, I found that the etymology is Greek: "kenosis" evidently means emptiness, then -opsia means seeing. As the bus stopped at the MC campus during the summer, I felt a sense of kenopsia. [this is a real example of an occasion when I felt that way] During the spring of last year, kenopsia was probably a more widespread feeling upon seeing places much emptier than before because people were staying home.

sternutatory: something that causes sneezing. Pollen and dust are sternutatory substances.

If you have any suggestions for words I might find interesting, I will take them into consideration. I'm doing these as blog posts instead of creating an interesting words newsletter because I find newsletters to be like blog posts that spam up your inbox. This is not a dig at anyone's particular newsletter, rather a criticism of the format in general. Some newsletters contain worthwhile writing! I just don't see my email inbox as a repository for everyone and their mothers' blog posts.  

Granted, if anyone actually wants an interesting words newsletter to spam up their inbox... I guess that could be arranged if I really had to. Maybe I'll charge a subscription fee. Semi-rhetorical question: how much, if anything, would you pay to subscribe to an interesting words newsletter?  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AI chatbots

DC Ride of Silence 2019

A deep dive into the DC Metro challenge