Rockville architecture tour by bike

I am in the planning stage for this, which I hope to actually hold sometime in the spring once it warms up. I'll watch the weather and settle upon a more specific date in a few months (a non-rainy weekend, tentatively in April sometime?). We may have an unseasonably cold spring (at this point, who knows?), so I don't want to set a specific date now and then have it turn out that most of April's weather is too chilly.

Right now I'm looking up guidance about how to plan and hold a walking tour since the principles are rather similar. I'm also deciding on the locations I want to feature and what the route will be like. My intention for the route length is probably somewhere around 10 miles, give or take. I'll also try to keep it mainly on calmer streets.

[ETA: the route looks to be approximately/roughly 12 miles at this point in the planning process. The distance is subject to change, but will definitely be no more than 15 miles. The ride will proceed at a rather leisurely pace. It's not a race. Plus there are the stops for looking at and admiring the buildings.

Most of the route will be on streets, though a portion will be on the Millennium trail. As I said earlier, I will try to keep it mainly to calmer streets. In any case, participants should be comfortable with riding in traffic with a group. I think I'll try to provide a cue sheet and map of the route once it's fully locked in.] 
In addition to deciding on the locations for the tour, I also want to prepare some material about the various buildings and architecture the tour will feature. I'm deciding on what kind of information I should include -- I'm thinking a brief stop at each building where I will speak about it and people may also photograph the buildings if they wish.

Tentative info about each building I might include in my brief talk:
name/significance of building: what it's used for
Date/era built and architectural style. May include the architect/firm that designed it, if known.
Key details about its architecture/history and commentary on why I like it.

I intend for this to be a rather casual and low-key type of thing, meaning it'll be a self-supported ride -- you are responsible for bringing anything you may need and you participate at your own risk. Bring a lock if interested in attending a post-ride gathering (location under wraps for now and TBA, but you may be able to guess...)

If you're interested in attending this tour, please RSVP (tweet me @rachelvetica or email) so I know how many people to expect. You can also contact me if you have questions about or suggestions (of buildings to include on the tour) for this ride. Hope to see you there!

ETA: at the moment, RSVPs are not binding; I plan to have a final call for RSVPs closer to the actual date of the ride (once that's determined). Still, do let me know if you're interested at this early point in the planning process!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AI chatbots

A deep dive into the DC Metro challenge

DC Ride of Silence 2019