Interesting words, issue one

In an effort to better retain the meanings and usages of the various interesting words I come across, I've decided to start a series of posts where I include definitions, example sentences and any other relevant notes about the words. As it stands, I don't think I'm retaining as many interesting words as I'd like. 

Format: I figured five words per post seemed to be a reasonable amount, given that I will be including definitions, example sentences and notes about the words, so I will go through the existing words on the list in sets of five. After I finish that, I will make new posts every five words. References for definitions include Wiktionary, Merriam-Webster and Vocabulary.com. 

sylvurban: A word I came up with. It describes areas where manmade structures and nature coexist in an interesting way, such as a natural area underneath a highway overpass. It is based on the word riparian, which describes things relating to the banks of rivers and streams. 

skyrodemichor: A word I came up with that means "the smell of concrete after rain." It is based on the word petrichor, which describes the smell of rain more broadly. skyrodema is the Greek word for concrete; petrichor is of Greek etymology. When creating new words, I attempt to maintain consistent etymological origins if the words are inspired by existing words. 

hemochromatosis: a disorder of having too much blood. The opposite of anemia. Of interest to me because it's hard for me to imagine having too much blood. It's one of the only disorders for which modern-day bloodletting is an acceptable treatment. Patients with hemochromatosis must have their excess blood removed periodically.

sophistry: subtly deceptive reasoning or argumentation. The salesman's sophistry convinced her to buy dietary supplements that were not proven to be effective.  

senescence: the state or process of aging, especially in humans. Similar words: senile, adolescence. If you want to expand the word's usage a bit more, it could also apply to buildings. The building's senescence and lack of adequate maintenance contributed to its catastrophic collapse. He began eating dinner at 5 p.m. due to senescence. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AI chatbots

A deep dive into the DC Metro challenge

DC Ride of Silence 2019